A red fruit salad could be that pop of colour you need if you’re tired of seeing greens on your plate. With a vibrant mix of summer fruits such as watermelon, strawberries and cherries, here’s how to deliciously arrange this attractive fruit salad fit for summer parties, midday pick-me-ups, a post-dinner palate refresher and more.
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- 500 g piece watermelon, rind removed, cut into small wedges
- 250 g strawberries, halved
- 250 g red seedless grapes, halved
- 250 g cherries, halved, seeds removed
- 1½ cups (420 g) Greek-style yoghurt
- ¼ cup (30 g) slivered pistachios
- Micro herbs, to serve (optional)
Stir the water, honey, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves and star anise in a small saucepan over medium heat until honey dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 mins until liquid reduces by half. Remove from heat; cool completely.
Combine watermelon, strawberries, grapes and cherries in a bowl; drizzle with half the cooled syrup. Refrigerate for 10 mins.
Serve fruit salad topped with pistachios and micro herbs, along with the yogurt mixture.