Chicken massaged with a spice, lemon and olive oil rub is roasted and served alongside a zesty brown rice, vegetable and nut salad.
- 1.5 kg chicken, trimmed, wiped
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 x 400 g punnet heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 green onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup extra- virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
Preheat oven to hot 200 C.
Place chicken in a baking dish. Insert lemon in cavity and rub with combined oil, coriander, cumin and paprika. Season.
Roast chicken 1 1/2 hours, turning tray halfway through cooking. Transfer chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest 10 mins.
RICE SALAD meanwhile, cook rice following packet instructions. Drain, rinse under cold water. Drain. Cool 10 mins. Transfer rice to a large bowl. Add kale, capsicum, tomatoes, parsley, cashews, currants, seeds and onion. Drizzle with combined remaining ingredients. Serve with carved chicken.
Top Tip: Try adding some drained canned chickpeas to the salad and Moroccan seasoning instead of ground cumin and paprika.
Photo: Rob Shaw/Bauer