There’s nothing like a zesty salad to reinvigorate you on a warm and balmy evening. This time, we paired it fluffy salmon potato cakes, which will fill you up for a satisfying dinner. You can even use leftover mash, as well as any other fruit for your salad tossed in vinegar, olive oil and mustard!
- 415 g canned pink salmon
- ½ cup (150 g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 475 g tub mashed potato
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- ⅓ cup (35 g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (75 g) panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- 60 g ghee
- 1 medium lemon (140 g), cut into wedges
- ½ cup (150 g) aïoli
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 medium green-skinned apples (300 g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch red radishes, sliced thinly
- 1½ cups packed fresh coriander leaves
Make apple salad. Whisk vinegar, oil and mustard in a medium bowl until combined. Add apple, radish and coriander; toss gently to combine, season to taste.
Drain salmon; discard skin and bones, flake salmon. Drain on paper towel.
Stir mayonnaise and rind in a medium bowl; stir in salmon, potato and chives, season. Shape mixture into 8 patties. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs, separately in shallow bowls. Dust patties in flour, shake away excess. Dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on tray; freeze for 10 mins until firm but not frozen.
Heat ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook patties, in batches, about 4 mins each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel.
Serve salmon cakes with apple salad, lemon wedges and aïoli.