Hearty, vegetarian and calcium-enriched, these are the muffins you can count on to fill you up, even as a quick grab-and-go breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack. They are loaded with stretchy mozzarella, sharp parmesan and earthy blue cheese, making for a delicious, savoury treat that’s also surprisingly low-carb.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 small onion (80 g), chopped finely
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups (300 g) self-raising flour
- 80 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (50 g) coarsely grated mozzarella
- ½ cup (40 g) coarsely grated parmesan-style cheese
- 100 g blue cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a 12 hole (⅓ cup/80 ml) muffin pan.
Heat oil in a medium frying pan; cook onion, stirring for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add spinach; cook, stirring, for 1 min or until wilted. Cool.
Bake muffins for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave muffins in pan for 5 mins before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack. Serve warm.