There’s no need to skip out on dessert, even if you’re watching your health or weight. As much as they are indulgent, these ginger, pear and pistachio crumbles are also sugar-free, and can be adapted for vegan and paleo diets. You may even switch up select ingredients with the ones you crave, just to add your favourite flavours.
- 6 medium firm pears (1.4 kg), peeled, chopped coarsely
- 1125 g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsps cornflour or arrowroot
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 g) pistachios
- 1 cup (120 g) pecans
- 1 cup (90 g) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pure maple syrup, extra
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, extra
- 2 tbsps freeze-dried or fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2 cup (560 g) thick no-sugar-added vanilla yoghurt
Place pears, raspberries, cornflour, ginger, syrup, juice and extract in a large bowl; toss to coat fruit in mixture. Divide mixture among 6 x 1 cup (250 ml) ovenproof dishes.
Process nuts until chopped roughly. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in oats, oil and extra syrup and extract; spoon over fruit mixture.
Bake, uncovered, for 1 hr. Cover with foil; bake for a further 15 mins or until crumble topping is golden and pears are soft.
To serve, sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top and accompany with yoghurt.
TIP If you can’t find sugar-free vanilla yoghurt, simply stir vanilla extract through greek-style yoghurt. You can find freeze-dried pomegranate seeds at health food stores. For vegan and paleo diets use coconut milk yoghurt. For paleo, substitute arrowroot for cornflour.