Similar to a deconstructed sushi bowl, think of this as a sushi rice salad. This delicious salad showcases all the beautiful flavours of Japanese cooking with freshly grilled prawns and mangoes.
- 1 cup (200 g) sushi rice
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, chopped finely
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 24 (1 kg) uncooked king prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 2 tbsps sushi vinegar
- 2 tbsps mirin
- 1 large (600 g) mango, flesh sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, sprigs removed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed thai basil leaves
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsps pickled ginger
- 1/2 sheet nori, toasted lightly over a gas flame, sliced thinly
- extra lime wedges, for garnish
Place the rice into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Stir vigorously, drain in a colander and rinse away the cloudy water. Repeat several times until the water is clear.
Combine the rice and 1 cup (250 ml) cold water into a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until it comes to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for 12 mins. Remove from heat and stand, covered for 5 mins before spreading the rice over a large tray to cool.
Meanwhile combine the ginger, lemongrass, chilli, oil and lime juice into a large bowl. Add the prawns and toss to coat.
Cook the prawns over on a heated oiled grill plate or barbecue for a 2 mins on each side or until just cooked through.
Wet hands with water and arrange the rice on a serving platter. Top with the prawns, mango and herbs. Spoon over the vinegar mixture and scatter with the sesame seeds, pickled ginger and nori. Serve with extra lime wedges.