The thin, crumbly and light texture of the filo pie is paired with seeds and a selection of veggies for a unique and savoury midday treat. Take a bite, and sweetness will spill from the pie’s centre put together by currants and mint; a combination of flavours best complemented with a simple herb salad with cucumber and cheese.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 small leek (200 g), white part only, sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsps caraway seeds
- 2 medium carrots (270 g), grated coarsely
- 250 g savoy cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup (40 g) currants
- 2 tbsps fresh mint, chopped finely
- 14 sheets filo pastry (210 g)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil, extra
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers (260 g)
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh curly parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh dill sprigs
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 75 g soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup (50 g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup (35 g) slivered almonds
- ¼ cup (25 g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook leek, garlic and seeds for 5 mins. Add carrot; cook for 3 mins. Add cabbage; cook a further 5 mins or until vegetables are soft. Stir in currants and mint. Cool.
Make topping. Combine pepitas, almonds, walnuts, poppy seeds and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Divide filling into seven portions. Brush one sheet of pastry with a little of the extra oil; top with a second sheet. Keep remaining sheets covered with a clean, damp tea towel.
Place one portion of filling lengthways, in a thin line, along pastry edge; roll pastry over filling. Starting at the centre of a 24 cm springform pan, carefully form the pastry roll, seam-side down, into a coil.
Repeat with remaining pastry, oil and filling, joining each roll to the end of the last one and coiling it around until the base of the pan is covered. Brush top with oil.
Bake filo pie for 18 mins. Evenly cover with topping; bake a further 8 mins or until golden.
Meanwhile make herb salad. Using a vegetable peeler, peel cucumbers into ribbons. Place cucumber in a medium bowl with herbs, onion, vinegar and oil; toss gently to combine. Top with cheese.
Serve filo pie with herb salad.