Get a quick Vietnamese fix with this lemongrass chicken bowl, featuring flavours you’d never expect in a healthy meal. The fragrant and spicy party in your mouth comes with a boost of freshness from cucumber, daikon and carrot – making sure you never miss out on the greens.
- 2 small chicken thigh fillets (200 g)
- 3 tsps lemon grass paste
- ¼ tbsps dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 1 small carrot (70 g), sliced thinly
- 70 g daikon, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ 250 g packed 90 sec microwave white rice
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsps fresh coriander leaves
- 1½ tbsps mayonnaise
- 3 tsps sriracha chilli sauce
- 1 lime wedge
Combine chicken, lemon grass, chilli and oil in a small bowl, season; stand for 5 mins.
Meanwhile, combine carrot, daikon, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl, season; stand for 5 mins. Drain.
Cook chicken on a heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) for 3 mins each side or until cooked through. Cut chicken thickly widthways.
Heat rice following manufacturer’s instructions; place in a bowl, drizzle with soy sauce; top with chicken, pickled vegetables, green onion, cucumber and coriander.
Combine mayonnaise and chilli sauce. Serve with chicken and lime wedge.
TIP For a vegetarian option, substitute firm tofu for chicken. If no sriracha sauce, substitute with whatever chilli sauce you have on hand, or use a little fresh seeded chilli. Lemon grass paste is available from the fresh food aisle of major supermarkets.