Minced meat is a very versatile ingredient that you can use to prepare the simplest of dishes for a meal. If you have some in the fridge, give our meatballs and meatloaf recipes a try!
- 2 slices (90 g) white bread
- 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium (150 g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium (120 g) carrot, grated finely
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
Place the bread and milk in a large bowl; stand for 10 mins.
Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened. Add onion mixture to bread mixture with remaining ingredients; season well. Combine ingredients well using your hands.
To make meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 200 C (180 C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Shape Basic Mince into a 30 cm log in the centre of the paper. Cover mixture with 100 g pancetta slices, slightly overlapping.
- Brush with 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce combined with 1 tbsp brown sugar. Bake meatloaf for 45 mins or until cooked through.
To make meatballs:
- Shape 1 1⁄2 tbsps of Basic Mince into balls. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan; cook balls, in batches, until browned.
- Remove from pan. Add 700 g tomato passata and 1 cup chicken stock to pan; bring to the boil.
- Return meatballs to the pan. Reduce heat, simmer for 5 mins or until cooked. Serve with parmesan and basil leaves.
Photos: John Paul Urizar/bauersyndication.au