Introduce these stuffed capsicums to the dinner table to wow your guests with an Italian and Croatian flair. Packed full of flavourful mince mixture and baked to perfection, no one can say that one is ever enough.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion (200 g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 250 g minced (ground) pork
- 250 g minced (ground) veal
- 2 tsps fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato pasta sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (100 g) white long-grain rice, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 (800 g) red capsicums (bell peppers)
- ¼ cup (15 g) stale breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (20 g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
Heat oil in large frying pan, add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add pork and veal and half the thyme; cook, stirring, until browned.
Meanwhile, oil small baking dish. Cut tops from capsicums, reserve as lids. Scoop out seeds and membranes. Fill capsicums with mince mixture; stand upright in baking dish.
Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, rind and remaining thyme in small bowl. Sprinkle over filling; place capsicum tops in baking dish. Bake capsicums, uncovered, about 1 hr or until rice is soft. Top with lids to serve.
TIP Some butchers sell a pork and veal mixture, this is fine to use here, buy 500 g (1 pound).