There’s nothing as versatile as mushrooms, as they can be served as a dish on its own or as an ingredient for a dish. Follow author of On The Table At Home, Danielle Graham’s recipe to learn how to make this buttery dish featuring six different types of mushrooms. They also present beautifully!
Watch how to prep the mushrooms for the dish in this video:
- ¼ cup dried porcini mushrooms (or dried shiitake mushrooms)
- ½ cup hot water
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
- 1 cup brown button mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
- 1 cup sliced king brown (king trumpet) mushrooms
- ½ cup oyster mushrooms, halved
- ½ cup enoki mushrooms, dirty ends trimmed and strands separated
- 125 g unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsps white wine
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped coarsely
Soak the porcini mushrooms in the hot water for 15 mins, or until soft. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl, reserving the mushroom soaking water. Thinly slice the porcini and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic and salt and stir to combine. Add the white and brown button, king brown, oyster and enoki mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 4 mins, or until lightly browned.
Add the butter and pepper, stir to combine, and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 1 min, stirring to coat the mushrooms with butter. Add the wine, reserved mushroom water and porcini mushrooms. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 3 min, or until all the mushrooms are tender.
Transfer to a dish, scatter over the parsley and serve immediately (see tips below).
- Team it with any number of chicken dishes or simply stir the mushroom mixture through pasta, if you wish.
- Divide and serve in little tartlets to turn them into an easy finger food for parties.
This recipe can be found in On The Table At Home by Malaysian-born actress, model and mum-of-two Danielle Peita Graham, who is a self-confessed foodie and avid home cook. She’s also launched a range of cookware, including pots and pans, utensils and cutlery, which are available online and at Tott Store.