Make this delicious bacon and cheese rice cake in advance and heat up when you’re ready to eat.
- 1 cup Royal Umbrella Fragrant Rice, rinse
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsps Golden Circle Canola Oil
- 350 g green capsicum, chop finely
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, slice thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crush
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 stalks spring onions, slice thinly (use the white portion only)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 3 eggs, beat lightly Green salad, to serve (optional)
Place rice and water in a rice cooker and press start. Cook rice several hours ahead and when cooked, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
Heat a medium non-stick 20-cm frying pan. Add 1 tbsp oil, capsicum, bacon and garlic. Stir-fry ingredients over medium fire until capsicum softens, about 5 mins.
In a large bowl, combine rice, corn, spring onions and capsicum mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add remaining oil to the same non-stick pan. Return mixture to pan, sprinkle with cheese. Pour beaten eggs evenly over rice mixture in pan. Cook over medium fire, loosely covered with a lid or foil, for about 10 mins, or until the base is golden brown.
Wrap handle of frying pan with foil, place pan under a preheated grill for about 5 mins until the top of the rice cake is golden and set.
Invert rice cake onto a board; cut into wedges and serve with a green salad if you like.
Photo: Bauer/Brett Stevens