Tender chicken in a flavourful curry that is the perfect accompaniment to a simple plate of rice. Easy and quick yet oh so delicious!
- 1 kg free range chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 tbsps kurma powder
- 8 pcs shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp white grated coconut
- 3 tbsps oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 300 ml water
- 200 ml boxed coconut milk
- 2 potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 carrot, cut into wedges
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Crispy fried shallots, optional
Marinate chicken with kurma powder for 15 to 20 mins.
Blend the shallots, garlic, ginger and grated coconut until fine.
In a preheated pot, heat the oil and sauté onions, cinnamon stick, star anise and blended ingredients until fragrant.
Add in marinated chicken and cook for 4 mins while stirring. Add water and coconut milk.
Add the potatoes, carrots once mixture boils. Cook until chicken is tender and add in the tomatoes. Cook for another 5 mins.
Season gravy with salt to taste and turn off heat.
Serve chicken garnish with crispy fried shallots if liked.
TIP: To make the dish healthier choose low fat coconut milk instead.
Text: Sa’idah Sheikh Jaffar / Photo: Chris Leong / Styling and recipe: Cindy Khoo