When you’re craving a hearty homemade Indian dish, cook up this easy but gorgeous chickpea and mince curry.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsps balti curry paste
- 500 g beef mince
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Coriander leaves, steamed rice, pappadums, to serve
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Saute onion, ginger, garlic and cumin seeds 2 to 3 mins, until onion is tender.
Stir in paste and cook, stirring, 1 min, until fragrant.
Add mince. Cook 5 to 6 mins, until browned, breaking up with the back of a spoon.
Stir in tomato and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, 15 mins.
Stir chickpeas, peas and juice through. Simmer 1 to 2 mins. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice and pappadums.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw
- mince curry