- 180 g soba noodles
- 1 Japanese cucumber, cut in ribbons
- 1 red onon, thinly sliced
- 3 baby capsicums, seeded, sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, plus extra
- 500 g green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails on
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs (available at leading supermarkets)
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp each lime juice, rice vinegar, mirin
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp soy sauce
Cook noodles to instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water. Place in large bowl.
DRESSING Whisk all ingredients.
Add cucumber, onion, capsicum, green onion and coriander to noodles. Toss through dressing, set aside.
Toss prawns in flour, dip into egg then coat in crumbs. Chill 15 mins.
In a large, deep-frying pan, heat oil on high until a few crumbs sizzle when added (180 C). Fry prawns in 3 batches, 1 to 2 mins each, until golden. Drain on paper towel. Toss through salad and serve sprinkled with coriander.
Use a vegetable peeler to cut cucumber ribbons.
Photo: Bauer/JP Urizar