Bite into crunchy chicken schnitzels in this sandwich that also has crunch apple, red cabbage and horseradish – it’s enough as a very satisfying meal by itself!
- 2 tbsps light olive oil
- 2 crumbed chicken schnitzels
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 green apple, cored, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbsps sour cream
- 2 tbsps grated horseradish
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 345 g rye baguette, halved lengthwise, cut into quarters
- 100 g sliced gouda cheese
Heat oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat. Cook chicken for 5 mins each side or until cooked. Slice. To make sauerkraut, combine cabbage and apple in a bowl. Whisk sour cream, horseradish, parsley and juice in a bowl. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine.
Preheat a sandwich press. For each toastie, place a baguette base on a clean work surface. Top with a quarter each of the cheese slices, chicken and sauerkraut mixture. Top with remaining bread.
Cook in sandwich press, in batches, for 5 mins or until heated and toasted.
Photos: Rob Shaw/BauerSyndication.com.au