Make your own delicious version of the classic mixed wonton soup using this super simple recipe.
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 2 cm ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 chicken breast
- 12 frozen pork wontons
- 200 g prawns, deveined
- 400 g packet fresh egg noodles
- 2 baby bak choy, quartered
- 300 g char siu, thinly sliced (buy ready-made from your favourite stall)
- Sliced scallions, sliced long red chilli, to serve
- Soy sauce, to season
In a large saucepan, combine stock, ginger and lime leaves over medium heat. Bring to simmer.
Add chicken breast to stock and cook gently 10 to 12 mins. Transfer to a plate and rest 10 mins. Shred chicken.
Return stock to boil on high. Add wontons and noodles and cook 1 to 2 mins.
Stir prawns and bak choy through and cook a further 1 to 2 mins, until wontons are tender, prawns are cooked through and bak choy wilts.
Divide wontons, noodles, prawns and bak choy among bowls. Top with pork and chicken. Ladle over hot soup. Serve with a sprinkling of scallions.
Photo: Bauer/Rob Shaw