The perfect dish for entertaining, this gorgeous oven-baked paella is bursting with fresh seafood and sausages, and is perfect for a summer evening.
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsps hot water
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 each red and green capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ tsps smoked paprika
- 1½ tsps chilli flakes,
- 2 cups arborio or calasparra rice
- ¹⁄³ cup white wine
- 5 cups fish stock
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 300 g firm white fish, cut into 3 cm chunks
- 8 large green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 8 mussels, scrubbed, bearded
- Chopped parsley, lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
In a small bowl, combine saffron with hot water. Infuse 10 mins.
Meanwhile, in large flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Fry chorizo 3 to 4 mins until golden. Set aside.
In the same dish, saute capsicum, onion, garlic and spices 2 to 3 mins until onion is tender. Mix in rice and cook 1 min, stirring. Add wine and cook, stirring until absorbed.
Return chorizo to dish with saffron mixture, stock and tomatoes. Season to taste. Bring to boil, stirring often. Bake, covered, 20 mins.
Remove from oven. Stir in fish, prawns and mussels. Bake, covered, 5 to 10 mins until mussels open and seafood is cooked. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Photo: Bauer/Brett Stevens