If you’re not one for cold salads, make this warm, hearty chicken salad coated with an appetising sesame dressing.
- 2 tsps sesame seeds
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 clove garlic, bruise
- 5 stalks coriander
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 head butter lettuce, tear into 5-cm pieces
- 200 g broccoli, cut into small florets, dip into hot boiling water for 1 min and rinse in cold water
- 100 g snow peas
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peel, halve and slice (use local cucumber, if unavailable)
- 2 sticks celery, trim and slice
- 1 small red onion, slice thinly
SESAME DRESSING (mix well)
- 80 ml olive oil
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 1. tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
Add sesame seeds to a wok; cook without oil, stirring over medium fire, until seeds are toasted lightly. Remove from pan.
Half-fill the same wok with water; add salt, garlic and coriander. Bring to boil; add chicken, reduce fire to low. Cook, covered, in barely simmering water for about 10 mins or until chicken is just cooked through, turning halfway. Remove chicken from pan; cover, stand 5 mins before slicing or pulling apart into pieces. Discard remaining contents in wok.
Meanwhile, combine lettuce, broccoli, snow peas, cucumber, celery and onion in a large bowl. Divide between serving bowls. Top with chicken, drizzle with sesame dressing, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Photo: Brett Stevens/bauersyndication.com.au