A luxurious French dish needs no effort at all with a trusty slow-cooker. Just pop all the ingredients in, and prepare to be greeted with a simmering, tender beef bourguignon, perfect with a side of mashed potatoes or crusty bread.
- 12 shallots
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 200 g swiss brown mushrooms
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260 g), cut into 5 cm lengths
- 3 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1½ cups (375 ml) dry red wine
- 3 cup (750 ml) beef stock
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1.2 kg beef short ribs
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
Place shallots, mushrooms, bacon, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, wine, stock, paste and beef in a 4.5 litre (18 cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, about 8 hrs. Season to taste.
Discard thyme and bay leaves. Stir in half the parsley; season to taste. Serve topped with remaining parsley and accompany with crusty bread, if you like.
TIP Not suitable to freeze. If the shallots are large, cut in half. Serve with mashed potato or steamed baby new potatoes.