Sushi doesn’t get any healthier than this. Packed with salmon, an assortment of grains, appetising pickled cucumbers and a kick of spice, this is the go-to food for weight-friendly meal prep. You can even be flexible with its ingredients.
SPICY SALMON MIXED GRAIN SUSHI
- ½ cup (100 g) brown rice
- ¼ cup (50 g) tricolour quinoa
- ¼ cup (50 g) pearl barley
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsps caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ cup (35 g) sunflower seeds, chopped finely
- 2 sheets toasted seaweed (nori)
- 200 g sashimi-grade salmon, sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 medium avocado (250 g), sliced thinly
- 1 tsps lemon juice
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers (260 g), peeled, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 1 tbsps caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
Grease and line a 19 cm square cake pan with plastic wrap. Place one nori sheet, trimming to fit, shiny side-down, over base of pan. Spread half the rice mixture over nori. Top with salmon; sprinkle with chilli.
Combine avocado and juice in a small bowl. Place avocado mixture over salmon; top with remaining rice mixture. Place remaining nori sheet, trimming to fit, shiny side-up, over rice mixture. Cover nori with plastic wrap. Place food cans on sushi to weight it down. Refrigerate for 6 hrs or until firm enough to cut.
To make pickled cucumber, combine ingredients in a medium bowl; stand for 5 mins for flavours to develop. Drain.
Remove sushi from pan; cut into squares. Serve with pickled cucumber.
TIP Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.