The botanist bowl is a fresh, healthful and energising toss of greens from brussels sprouts, kale, to avocado made all-rounded with chicken as the main. The flavours get taken up a notch with our special superfood pesto, a punchy sauce derived from lemon juice, garlic, grated parmesan and more.
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 200 g chicken breast fillets
- 200 g brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 250 g green kale, stems discarded, shredded finely
- 1 medium avocado (250 g), cut into wedges
- 2 tbsps roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup (50 g) green kale leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (40 g) roasted almonds
- ¼ cup (20 g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 clove (small) garlic, peeled
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp spirulina
Preheat oven to 200 C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Place stock, peppercorns and bay leaf in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken; if chicken is not covered in stock, add a little water. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to low, simmer, uncovered, for 4 mins. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, place brussels sprouts on tray, drizzle with half the oil; toss to coat. Turn sprouts cut-side up; season. Roast for 20 mins or until crisp and golden.
Then, to make superfood pesto; process basil, kale, almonds, parmesan, juice and garlic until finely chopped. With motor operating, gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream; process until smooth. Stir in spirulina; season to taste.
Place kale and remaining oil in a large bowl; season with sea salt. Using your hands, rub oil and salt into kale until kale softens.
Divide kale between bowls; top with brussels sprouts, chicken, avocado, almonds and pesto.