These underrated vegetable dumplings make a simple but delicious vegetarian recipe stuffed with micronutrients and fibre. Each bite-sized dumpling bursts with flavour, containing mushrooms, ginger, and more. It’s also served with a light soup together with bok choy leaves.
- 100 g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 green onions
- 1 brown onion (150 g), chopped coarsely
- 1 carrot (120 g), chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger (10 g), chopped coarsely
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tbsps Chinese cooking wine
- 4 fresh coriander roots
- 1 tsp white (granulated) sugar
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 800 g bok choy
- 1 piece fresh ginger, extra, grated
- 1 clove garlic, extra, crushed
- 227 g canned water chestnuts, drained, chopped finely
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup (15 g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 20 wonton or gow gee wrappers
- 100 g enoki mushrooms, trimmed
Separate stems from caps of the shiitake mushrooms; reserve stems. Finely chop a quarter of the shiitake caps; slice remaining shiitake caps thinly. Coarsely chop white section of green onion. Thinly slice green section; reserve green section in small bowl.
Combine shiitake mushroom stems, white section of green onion, brown onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, star anise, peppercorns, sauce, wine, coriander roots, sugar and the water in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45 mins. Strain stock through muslin-lined sieve or colander into large heatproof bowl; discard solids. Return stock to same cleaned pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered.
Meanwhile, separate bases and leaves of bok choy. Finely chop half of the bases; discard remaining bases. Combine chopped bases with finely chopped shiitake mushrooms, extra ginger, extra garlic, water chestnuts, egg white, breadcrumbs, coriander leaves and oyster sauce in large bowl. Make dumplings by placing 1 heaped tsp of the mushroom mixture in centre of a wonton wrapper; brush around edges with a little water. Fold wrapper in half diagonally; pinch edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining mushroom mixture and wrappers.
Add sliced shiitake and enoki mushrooms to simmering stock; cook, uncovered, 5 mins. Add dumplings; cook, uncovered, 5 mins or until dumplings are cooked through. Stir in bok choy leaves.
Divide soup among serving bowls; top with reserved sliced green onion.