Overflowing with hearty ingredients from chicken, carrots, potatoes to asparagus and more, this versatile casserole is perfect for the times you have to quickly throw together a decent and delicious meal – and all in a single pot.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 6 (150 g) baby onions, quartered
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 700 g chicken thigh fillets, chopped coarsely
- 300 g baby new (chat) potatoes, quartered
- 1 large piece (180 g) carrot, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup (35 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dry white wine
- 420 g canned chicken consommé
- 250 g asparagus, trimmed, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 2 tbsps wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon rind, finely grated
- ⅓ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, loosely packed, coarsely chopped
Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan, cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add chicken, cook, stirring, about 5 mins or until chicken is browned and cooked through.
Add potato, carrot and flour to pan, cook, stirring, 5 mins. Add wine and consommé, cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, covered, about 10 mins or until potato is tender.
Add asparagus, mustard and rind to pan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, until asparagus is just tender. Stir in rind and parsley.
TIP A radicchio, coral and oakleaf lettuce salad. This recipe is more flavoursome if made a day ahead; store, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat just before serving.