How exciting it is, to fish up a spoonful of seafood from the treasure trove that is seafood chowder. For convenience, we used a marinara mix in our recipe, alongside potatoes, corn and bacon for more flavour and mouthfeel.
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 175 g packet rindless bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1½ cup fish stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 125 g can corn kernels, rinsed
- 350 g mixed seafood or seafood marinara mix
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
Heat oil in a large saucepan over moderately high heat. Cook and stir bacon for 5 mins or until brown.
Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 mins or until onion softens. Stir in flour until combined. Gradually add milk, stock and potato, stirring. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 mins or until sauce thickens.
Stir in corn and marinara mix. Cook and stir for 5 mins or until seafood is just cooked. Remove from heat. Season with salt and ground white pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Serve sprinkled with chives.
TIP You’ll find marinara mix at the fish shop and most supermarkets. To prevent excess liquid in sauce, sear marinara mix in a hot pan. Serve with garlic or herb bread.