Pork and veal rolled into a tender, juicy and plump meatball dunked in tomato puree, then sprinkled with parsley.
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (150 g), chopped finely
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 750 g minced pork and veal mixture
- 1 cup (70 g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (100 g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 eggs
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 tsp each ground turmeric and nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 700 ml passata
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, extra
Heat 2 tsps of the oil in a deep, large frying pan over high heat; cook onion and thyme, stirring, until onion softens. Remove from pan.
Combine the pork and veal, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, eggs, garlic and spices in a large bowl; season. Using damp hands, roll the mixture into 12 balls.
Heat remaining oil in the same pan; cook the meatballs, turning, until well browned all over.
Return onion mixture to pan with passata; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 mins or until meatballs are cooked through. Sprinkle over extra parsley.