Another hearty recipe, this oxtail soup is full of flavour and perfect with rice. Love this recipe? Download Shopback’s free cookbook with recipes contributed from different families here.
- 1 oxtail, finely chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2-3 carrots, finely chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 potato, finely chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ginger, finely sliced
- 3 beef-stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- dash of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
On another wok, add 2 tablespoons of flour to 1 tablespoon of oil.
Fry until golden and leave flour mixture aside to rest.
On a non-stick wok, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
Fry onion, star anise, cinnamon bark, garlic and ginger for around 1 min till fragrant.
Add marinated oxtail into wok, fry until slightly golden brown.
Add water to wok till it barely covers the oxtail and let it boil.
After the water boils, add the contents into a slow cooker and let it cook for an hour.
Add carrots and let it cook for another 30 mins before adding potatoes and letting it simmer.
Stir in flour mixture until desired consistency and add beef cubes to taste.