1. BRIE Mould-ripened cheese suits buttery white wines and full-bodied reds. Try a Hunter Valley Semillon or chardonnay.
2. BLUE VEIN These cheeses are perfectly paired with dessert and fortified wines. Give a Rutherglen muscat or tokay a try to balance out the strength of the blue.
3. RICOTTA Fresh, unripened cheese is excellent with sparkling or aromatic whites, like a Mouton Cadet Blanc or a Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut Champagne.
4. GOAT’S CHEESE Matches beautifully with sauvignon blanc to provide a great balance. Try one from the Adelaide Hills.
5. CHEDDAR Suits full-bodied red wine like port. There’s a real contrast between the sweetness of the port and the nutty, crumbly texture of the hard cheddar. Monbulk Winery has a nice selection of port.
TEXT: Woman’s Day, Bauer Syndication / Additional Reporting: Sean Tan
See also: Your Ultimate Holiday Wine Guide