Whether you’re entertaining some guests this weekend or simply in the mood for a fancy snack, these three canape recipes will ensure that you’ll always have something to impress guests with when they come over:
Mini Beef Pies
Prep 40 mins / Cook 1 hour 55 mins / Makes 36
-1 tbsps olive oil
-500g gravy beef, finely chopped
-1 onion, finely chopped
-2 tsps rosemary, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, crushed
-150 g mushrooms, finely chopped
-1 carrot, finely chopped
-1½ cups beef stock
-1 cup red wine
-2 tbsps tomato paste
-1 cup frozen peas, thawed
-4 sheets short crust pastry, thawed
-3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
-1 egg, lightly beaten
-2 tbsps sesame seeds
-Tomato sauce, to serve
1. Preheat oven to hot, 220 C. Lightly grease 3 x 12-hole mini-muffin pans.
2. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan on high. Cook beef for 3 to 4 mins, until browned all over. Transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Heat remaining oil in same pan on high. Saute onion, rosemary and garlic for 3 to 4 mins, until tender.
4. Return beef to pan with mushrooms, carrot, stock, wine and tomato paste. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
5. Add peas and simmer uncovered for a further 30 mins until mixture thickens. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cool for 10 mins, then chill until cold.
6. Meanwhile, using a 6.5-cm cutter, cut 9 rounds from each sheet of short crust pastry. Press 1 round into each hole. Using a 5.5-cm cutter, cut 12 rounds from each puff pastry sheet.
7. Spoon 2 heaped tsps of filling into pastry cases. Brush edges with a little egg. Top each pie with puff pastry rounds.
8. Press gently around the edges to seal. Brush the tops with remaining egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Bake for 12 to 15 mins, until golden and puffed. Stand in pan for 5 mins before serving with tomato sauce.
Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
-220 g goat cheese
-¼ cup cream
-¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
-2 tbsps snipped chives
-Juice of ½ lemon
-25 cherry tomatoes
1. Place goat cheese, cream, pine nuts, chives, juice and seasonings to taste in a food processor. Process until smooth.
2. Slice the tops off tomatoes and hollow out centre with a teaspoon, discarding the seeds.
3. Spoon or pipe mixture into tomatoes. Pop tomato top on. Chill for 1 hour before serving.Mini Thai Chicken Burgers
2 tbsps peanut oil
1 stick lemongrass, trimmed, finely chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
140 g can coconut milk
1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tsps fish sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp ginger, grated
300 g chicken mince
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup coriander, chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
1 loaf Turkish bread or ciabatta bread, halved horizontally, toasted, cut into 24 squares
2 Japanese cucumbers, cut into thin strips
- 1. Heat half the oil in a small frying pan on medium. Saute lemongrass and onion for 4 to 5 mins, until tender. Add coconut milk, chilli, lime, fish sauce, garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 mins. Chill until cold.
2. In a large bowl, combine mince, breadcrumbs, coriander and half the coconut milk mixture. Using hands, shape tablespoons of mixture into 24 even-sized flattened patties. Place on a baking tray.
3 .Heat remaining oil in large frying pan on medium. Cook patties in batches, for 1 to 2 mins each side, until browned.
4 .Meanwhile, combine remaining coconut mixture with mayonnaise. Mix well.
5. Spread one side of each bread sandwich with mayonnaise mixture. Top with a patty and cucumber. Cover with remaining half of bread. Secure with toothpicks and serve.