We often associate air pollution with industrial fumes or the haze, but did you know that there could be indoor pollutants that are loitering within your own home which can be toxic to your health and possibly make you sick? Even though you may have scrubbed your home from top to bottom, one factor you may have overlooked is contaminated air.
Efforts to save energy on air-conditioning mean our homes are now more airtight than ever before. But we also run the risk of sealing in a host of impurities, including cleaning fumes and aerosol sprays. Two of the biggest culprits are gas cookers and unflued gas heaters.
“Being exposed to a mix of airborne pollutants indoors is having such a negative effect on our health that it’s known as ‘sick-building syndrome’ or ‘toxic-home syndrome’, with symptoms ranging from headaches and sniffles to more serious respiratory problems,” explains Peter Howarth, a professor of allergy and respiratory medicine at Southampton University, UK.
Here’s what you can do to help keep your home fresh and free of pollutants: