Freshen up your plant-based repertoire with this vegetarian burger, a succulent combination of black beans, beetroot and red onions. Add on to the restaurant-worthy dish with crisp sweet potato fries, and a delicious smoothie recipe to complete the experience.
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion (100 g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup firmly packed chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
- 1 small beetroot (100 g), grated
- 125 g can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tbsps dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp linseed meal
- 4 seeded rolls (360 g)
- 4 slices vegetarian tasty cheddar (65 g)
- 12 slices bread-and-butter pickles
- 60 g baby spinach leaves, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot (120 g), shaved lengthways
- ⅓ cup (95 g) american mustard
SWEET POTATO FRIES
- 1 kg orange sweet potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Heat half of the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3 mins or until softened. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Process onion mixture, parsley, beetroot, black beans, breadcrumbs and linseed meal until the mixture comes together but still retains some texture. Shape mixture into four 9 cm patties; place on a baking-paper-lined tray. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until to firm.
Meanwhile, make sweet potato fries. Cut sweet potatoes into long 5 mm thick chips. Fill a large heavy-based saucepan one-third full with oil and heat to 180 C (or until a cube of bread browns in 15 secs). Fry, in batches, for 2 mins or until golden. Drain on a paper-towel-lined tray; season to taste with salt.
Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 3 mins on each side or until browned and heated through. Char the burgers slightly if you want a traditional chargrilled taste.
Preheat grill to high. Place rolls, cut-side up, on an oven tray; grill for 5 mins or until golden.
Serve burgers with sweet potato fries.