For a healthier version of your classic fried rice, try this recipe using brown rice and barley mix for a fibre boost.
- 1 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1½ cups shredded cooked skinless chicken
- 2 green onions, sliced, plus extra, to serve
- 3 cups cooked brown rice and barley mix
- 2 tbsps hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Heat a wok or large frying pan over moderately high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat base and sides. Add egg; tilt to cover base and sides of wok. Cook for 1 min or until golden brown underneath. Transfer to a chopping board. Roll up to form a log; thinly slice.
Add onion to wok; stir-fry for 1 min or until almost soft. Add carrot, peas, garlic and chilli; stir-fry for 3 mins or until carrot is tender. Add chicken and green onion; stir-fry for 1 min or until heated. Add rice; stir-fry for 3 mins or until heated or combined. Add hoisin and soy sauces; stir-fry for 1 min or until heated. Remove from heat. Add zest and omelette slices; toss to combine.
Drizzle with sesame oil. Serve topped with extra green onion.
Photo: Rodney Macuja/bauerSyndication.com.au