- 1 kg beef oxtail, trimmed
- ½ cup (125 ml) Japanese soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup (55 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 6 clove garlic, bruised
- 12 cm piece fresh ginger (60 g), sliced thickly
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped coarsely
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 x 5 cm strips orange rind
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 green onions (scallions), shredded finely
Combine sauce, wine, sugar, garlic, ginge, chopped green onion, star anise, cinnamon, rind and the water in a 6 litre (24 cup) pressure cooker; bring to the boil. Add oxtail; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 30 mins.
Release pressure using the quick release method (see below); remove lid. Transfer oxtail to serving plate; drizzle with about ⅓ cup (80 ml) of braising liquid. Sprinkle with shredded green onion.
This recipe is suitable to freeze.
QUICK RELEASE METHOD Each time the lid is removed from the cooker, the pressure must be released quickly first. Use tongs (steam can burn your fingers) to turn the pressure valve on top of the cooker to open the valve and release the steam. We use this method when adding ingredients and when checking the food toward the end of cooking.