A bowl of wonton soup is the most comforting thing to tuck into!
- 200 g pork mince
- ¼ cup canned water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped, plus extra, sliced to serve
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp finely grated ginger
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 2 tbsps water
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch choy sum, coarsely chopped
- Shredded green onion, to serve
In a medium bowl, combine pork, water chestnuts, oil, soy sauce, chilli, garlic and ginger.
Place 1 tbsp pork mixture on centre of each wonton wrapper. Brush edges with water. Carefully fold wonton corners into centre, forming an envelope shape. Using fingertips, gently press along edges to seal.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring stock to boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. Add wontons, simmer 3 to 5 mins until cooked through.
Add mushrooms and choy sum. Cook for 1 to 2 mins, until choy sum begins to wilt. Serve topped with shredded green onion, extra chilli and accompany with extra soy sauce, if desired.
TIP: Keep leftover water chestnuts in fresh water in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Photo: Rodney Macuja/BauerSyndication.com.au