The iconic egg drop soup is recognised by its light and comforting broth, as well as trails of beaten egg. Recreate this delicious Chinese soup with our simple recipe, which takes less than an hour from start to finish.
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 400 g chicken breast fillets
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 125 g rice vermicelli, soaked, drained
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 green onion, cut diagonally
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
In a large saucepan, bring the water, stock, sauce, wine, garlic and ginger to the boil; add chicken, return to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 10 mins or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken; using two forks, shred meat.
Gradually whisk egg into the broth in a steady stream. Return chicken to pan.
Divide noodles among serving bowls; ladle soup into bowls, then sprinkle with coriander, onion and peanuts.