This hearty, flavourful Peranakan-inspired dish is perfect for both fuss-free weeknight dinners and your next potluck party. Recipe by Allspice Institute for The Weekly‘s Domestic Diva Cooking Masterclass 2019.
- 300 g cooked rice (2 cups)
- 2 tbsps coconut cream
- 3 tbsps laksa paste
- 50 g fried fish cake, sliced
- 2 tbsps white onion, chopped
- 1 pc tau pok or fried bean cake, sliced
- 2 tbsps dried shrimp, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp laksa leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp ikan bilis powder
- 1 tbsp fried crispy shrimp
- 1 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
Crack an egg and whisk, spread on a hot oil pan until the omelette is cooked. Transfer on a chopping board to cool. Slice and dice for garnish.
Fry the onion and laksa paste with some vegetable oil until fragrant. Add in the fish cake and tau pok with the rice and toss in the pan.
When ingredients are mixed, add in the dried chopped shrimp and half portion of the laksa leaves. Fry to mix well and adjust the seasoning with fish sauce and ikan billis seasoning.
Serve the rice in a bowl or a fresh lettuce cup, then garnish with egg, remaining laksa leaves and fried crispy shrimp.