You can never go wrong with this classic beef rendang dish – so yummy! It can be made a day ahead; store, covered, in the refrigerator which allows the flavours to develop overnight.
- 2 medium red onions, chopped coarsely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- 5 cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 3 tsps grated fresh galangal
- 3 tsps ground coriander
- 1½ tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3 cm cubes
- 410 ml canned coconut milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 10 cm stick fresh lemongrass (20 g), bruised
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves, torn
Make spice paste. Blend or process ingredients into a paste.
Combine paste in wok with beef, coconut milk, the water, lemongrass and lime leaves; bring to the boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or until mixture thickens and beef is tender. Serve.
Recipe & Photo: The Australian Women’s Weekly/BauerSyndication.com,au