This spicy coconut fish soup with vermicelli noodles is fusion of Thai spices and the beloved fish soup you find at your nearby hawker centre.
- 200 g vermicelli noodles
- 2 tsps peanut oil
- 2 tbsps red curry paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 400 ml can light coconut milk
- 200 g firm white boneless fish
- 1 bunch bai cai, trimmed, leaves and stems separated
- 425 g can baby corn, drained
- 2 tsps fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Beansprouts, coriander leaves, sliced red chilli, lime wedges, to serve
Place noodles in a large, heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside 5 mins, until tender. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan on medium. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 min, until fragrant.
Blend in stock and coconut milk. Simmer gently, 4-5 mins. Add fish, bai cai stems and baby corn. Simmer 2-3 mins, until fish is just cooked through. Add bai cai leaves and remove from heat.
Divide noodles among serving bowls and ladle over soup. Top with a small amount of beansprouts, coriander and chilli, to serve. Accompany with lime wedges.
Photo: Rob Shaw/Bauer