Make a comforting and filling meal using the humble spud and a variety of toppings. This comes with cheese and broccoli! Get your little one to eat their veggies with this cheesy broccoli baked potato recipe. Easy to make and satisfying in your belly.
Basic Baked Potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps light olive oil
- 4 equal-sized (about 200 g each floury potatoes (such as Dutch Creams)
Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- 1 quantity Basic Baked Potatoes
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsps shredded parmesan
- 20 g mild blue cheese, chopped
- 300 g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
Preheat oven to 200 C/180 C fan-forced. Make Basic Baked Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 200 C/180 C fan-forced. Brush potatoes with oil. Season with salt. Wrap each potato in foil. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 55 mins or until tender. Stand for 5 mins. Remove foil.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a cross-cut in the top of the potatoes, not going all the way through. Use hands to gently push potato to open out the cross-cut and expose potato flesh.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add flour; cook and stir for 30 secs or until thick.
Gradually whisk in milk until combined. Cook and stir for 3 mins or until sauce boils and thickens.
Stir in mozzarella, parmesan and blue cheese until melted and smooth.
Cook the broccoli in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 min or until bright green. Drain; refresh under cold water.
Place eggs in a small pan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil.
Boil for 5 mins. Drain; refresh under cold water. Peel. Grate. Stir broccoli and half the egg through cheese sauce.
Spoon broccoli mixture into baked potatoes. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 10 mins or until golden brown. Serve potatoes topped with remaining egg.
Photo: Pablo Martin/bauersyndication.com.au