The cheesy chilli bolognese is a favourite among many for being both a comfort food classic and an easy Italian recipe. Combines rich tomato flavours with an extra touch of spice, plus oozy melted cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion (150 g), chopped coarsely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g minced (ground) pork
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 cups (780 g) bottled tomato pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 cups (750 ml) hot water
- 400 g penne pasta
- 2 cups (240 g) coarsely grated cheddar
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook onion, garlic, pork, thyme and chilli flakes, stirring, until pork is browned. Stir in sauce and sugar; simmer 2 mins.
Add the water and uncooked pasta; cook, covered, for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender.
Stir in 1½ cups of the cheddar; season to taste. Serve pasta sprinkled with chopped parsley and remaining cheddar.
TIP We used pork mince here, but you could use veal or beef mince, or even a combination of all three. Combinations of mince are available at certain butchers or supermarkets. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.