Suitable as a side dish or a party snack (just make the patty smaller), these crispy crab cakes are perfect served with a slice of lemon and a fresh green apple salad. Perfect with steamed rice too.
- 500 g (1 pound) fresh cooked white crab meat
- ½ cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 475 g (15-ounce) tub mashed potato
- 1 tbsp each finely chopped fresh chives and fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup (35 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (75 g) panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- 60 g (2 ounces) ghee
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 medium green-skinned apples (450 g), cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch red radishes, sliced thinly
- 1½ cups packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
To make apple salad, whisk vinegar, oil and mustard in a medium bowl until combined. Add apple, radish and coriander; toss gently to combine, season to taste.
Stir mayonnaise and rind in a medium bowl; stir in crab, potato and herbs, season. Shape mixture into 12 patties; dust patties in flour, dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Refrigerate, covered, 30 mins.
Heat ghee in a large frying pan; cook patties, in batches, until browned lightly on both sides, drain.
Serve crab cakes with apple salad and lemon wedges, if you like.