Decadent chocolate and cinnamon cupcakes topped with cream cheese and cinnamon sugar make for the perfect party treat. They’re also great for afternoon tea.
- 155 g (5 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (75 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tsps ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps cocoa powder
- 1 cup (220 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (110g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 60 g (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 160 g (5 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cup (480 g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 tsps cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
Melt 30 g (1 ounce) of the butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar, ground cinnamon and cocoa. Cool.
Preheat oven to 180 C. Line 12-hole (⅓ cup/80 ml) muffin pans with paper cases.
Beat remaining butter, caster sugar, eggs, sifted flours and buttermilk in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium; beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour. Fold in brown sugar mixture, for marbled effect. Divide mixture into paper cases.
Bake cakes about 25 mins. Stand cakes in pan 10 mins before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, make cream cheese frosting: beat butter and cream cheese in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.
Spread frosting onto cakes; dust with cinnamon sugar.