TV celeb Ben Yeo shares one of his favourite reunion dinner festive dishes passed down from his mum.
- 250 g chicken breast, skin removed
- 1.8 to 2 litres water
- 100 g Japanese vermicelli, soaked in water
- 400 g store-bought crab leg meat
- 50 g corn starch
- 50 ml hot water
- 2 litres store-bought chicken stock
- 200 g enoki mushrooms, chop off roots and discard
- 10 pieces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stem removed and julienned
- 3 pieces black fungus, soaked in hot water and julienned
- Egg whites from three eggs, beaten
- White pepper and vinegar to taste
In a pot set over high heat, add chicken breast and 800 ml to 1 litre water, or enough to cover the meat. Cook for 15 to 20 mins until the water comes to a boil.
Drain and rinse chicken with tap water to bring meat to room temperature.
Use hands to shred meat into thin strands. Set aside.
In a bowl, soak Japanese vermicelli for 10 to 15 mins in water before cutting them into three equal parts with a pair of scissors. Set aside.
In a clean pot set over high heat, add crab leg meat and about 500 ml of water. Cook for 10 to 15 mins. Drain and set aside.
Dissolve 50 g corn starch in 50 ml of hot water. Set aside.
In a clean pot set over high meat, add 2 litres of chicken stock and 500 ml of water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Add enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, cooked crab leg meat, shredded chicken and black fungus into the mixture at high heat. Mix contents well.
While stirring the soup in the pot, pour corn starch solution gradually to thicken it. To check the consistency, take a scoop of the soup and watch how it flows back into the pot. It should not be too thin or starchy. Let it cook for 5 mins till the mixture bubbles.
While stirring the soup, pour in egg white gradually from a bowl and let it cook for 1 to 2 mins.
Turn heat off, scoop soup into a bowl and add white pepper and vinegar to taste.
Photo: Lau Fook Kong/ST