Packed full of nutrients, this hearty and comforting vegan soup can help you slim and trim your tummy thanks to all the wholesome ingredients in it.
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200 g), chopped coarsely
- 750 g (1½ pounds) carrots, chopped coarsely
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 cup (100 g) red lentils
- 1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- ½ cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 clove garlic (small), crushed
- 2 tbsps roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and carrot, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins or until softened. Add cumin, coriander and chilli; stir to coat. Add lentils and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 35 mins or until lentils and carrots are soft.
Meanwhile, to make coriander pesto; blend or process coriander, garlic and pistachios until finely chopped. With motor operating, add oil and juice in a thin, steady stream until combined. Season to taste.
Blend or process soup until smooth. Return soup to pan with the water; bring to the boil. Season. Serve soup drizzled with pesto, topped with coriander leaves.
TIP: Lentils will thicken on standing; if necessary add a little extra water or stock to thin the soup.
Photo: The Australian Women’s Weekly / BauerSyndication.com.au