This delectable vegetarian pasta is packed with mushrooms, pecorino and crunchy almonds. Delish! It’s also good for diabetics.
- 200 g wholegrain spaghetti
- 3 tsps rice bran oil
- 300 g swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 300 g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot (25 g), chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (40 g) coarsely chopped unsalted, roasted almonds
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup (20 g) flaked pecorino cheese
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender; reserve ½ cup of the liquid, drain pasta.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook mushrooms and shallot, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until mushrooms are lightly golden and shallot is tender. Add garlic and parsley; cook, stirring, for 1 min or until garlic is fragrant. Season to taste with black pepper.
Reduce heat to low; toss warm pasta, nuts and spinach through mushroom mixture. Add enough reserved pasta water to lightly coat the pasta. Serve topped with cheese.
TIP: You can use 600 g of your favourite variety of mushrooms; button and cap mushrooms will work well. If you don’t have a large frying pan, cook the mushrooms in batches to prevent them stewing.