Pineapple, passionfruit and kiwi are steeped in this homemade syrup made of boiled juice, basil and more for sugary and toothsome flavours salad – so good it hardly feels like one!
- 1½ cup (375 ml) water
- 2 x 5cm strips lemon rind
- ½ cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 pineapple (900 g), quartered, sliced thinly
- 6 kiwifruit (510 g), sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) passionfruit pulp
- 1 tbsp finely shredded fresh basil
Combine the water, rind, juice, sugar and basil leaves in medium frying pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 mins.
Strain syrup into medium jug; discard rind and basil. Cool 10 mins; refrigerate.
Just before serving, place syrup in large bowl with remaining ingredients; stir to combine.