Cutting down on the carbs? Indulge in a protein-rich meal like this pork steak dish, which comes with sautéed lentils, asparagus, and the flavours of rosemary, thyme and lemon. It’ll be a terrific way to jazz up your diet plans without compromising on taste and texture!
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (170 g) medium red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices (90 g) pancetta, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 800 g canned brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 x 150 g uncrumbed pork schnitzels
- 1 (140 g) medium lemon, cut into cheeks
- 1 bunch (170 g) asparagus, trimmed, sliced thinly lengthways
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook onion, garlic and pancetta, stirring, until onion softens. Add rosemary and 3 sprigs of the thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant. Add lentils and the water; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 2 mins or until water evaporates. Stir in juice.
Meanwhile, cut pork in half crossways. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook pork, in batches, for 2 mins each side or until browned and cooked. Remove from pan; rest, covered, for 2 mins.
Cook lemon halves, cut-side down, in pan for 3 mins or until charred.
Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender; drain. Season to taste.
Serve pork with lentils, asparagus and lemon; sprinkle with remaining thyme leaves. Season with pepper.
TIP The acidic juice of lemon enhances the taste of food, and they can also reduce a food’s GI value.