Quinoa is still trending as one of the top superfoods, and this quinoa risotto dish is great for giving your body a boost of nutrients while helping your diet. The healthy dish is also diabetic-friendly.
- 2 tsps olive oil
- ½ chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 g cup mushrooms, sliced
- 200 g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 150 g exotic mix mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup white quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 3 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 140 g packet baby kale leaves
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- Crumbled goat’s cheese (optional)
- Dried chilli flakes, to serve
In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Saute chorizo, onion and garlic, 1 to 2 mins, until tender.
Add mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring 2 to 3 mins, until tender. Stir in quinoa and thyme. Cook 1 to 2 mins, until well coated in mixture.
Pour in stock, mixing well. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 mins, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
Stir kale and tomatoes through. Cook, stirring, 1 to 2 mins, until kale is wilted and tomatoes are tender. Serve topped with goat’s cheese and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
Recipe & Photo: Rob Shaw/BauerSyndication.com.au