- 1.2 kg whole broiler hen
- 1 medium brown onion (150 g) chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 300 g button mushrooms, halved
- 10 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 stalk celery (150 g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium potatoes (400 g), chopped coarsely
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 2 cup (500 ml) chicken stock
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh chervil or coriander leaves
Rinse chicken under cold water; pat dry, inside and out, with paper towel. Trim excess fat from chicken; place chicken in a 5-litre (20-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, potato, the water and stock. Cook, covered, on low, about 10 hours.
Remove chicken from cooker; when cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones. Shred chicken coarsely.
Using a stick blender, blend soup in cooker until smooth; stir in cream and shredded chicken. Cook, covered, on high, for 10 minutes or until hot. Season to taste. Serve soup sprinkled with chervil and drizzle with a little extra cream, if you like.