Bond the family over this hearty one-pan masterpiece. Braised beef so tender, you won’t be able to help yourself from going back in for more!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 750 g beef chuck steak, 4-cm chunks
- 2 tbsps seasoned plain flour
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 200 g cup mushrooms, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tsp chopped thyme, plus extra to serve
- 500 g baby potatoes, halved if large
- 2 carrots, chopped steamed green beans, to serve
In a large heavy-based, ovenproof pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on high. Toss beef in flour to coat.
Brown beef in two batches 5-6 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
In the same pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic 4 to 5 minutes, until golden. Add wine to deglaze.
Return beef to pan with stock and thyme. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
Add potatoes and carrots to pan. Cook, covered, a further 40 to 45 minutes until beef is very tender. Sprinkle with thyme to serve. Accompany with beans.
TIP: To ensure a lovely caramelised flavour through the dish, brown beef well in two batches.